Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Journey Begins

I don't remember exactly how the conversation started or which one of us first put the idea into words, but several years ago the thought came to us. Wouldn't it be great to pack up the kids for the whole summer and drive across the country? Think of the places we could visit, the people we would meet, the experiences we could give them! Those thoughts, first verbalized so many years ago are now beginning to take shape. We've made the decision to forge ahead and given ourselves a time line. One year from now we hope to be embarking on our adventure and the reality of the planning and preparation that a trip like this will take is beginning to set in. There are so many decisions to be made and things to be figured out. It's terribly overwhelming and fabulously exciting all at the same time!

So, why do I want to do this? For a lot of different reasons I suppose. As a mom I want my kids to see what's out there and to know that a whole world exists beyond the borders of the neighborhood where they go to school, play sports and hang out with friends. The teacher side of me sees opportunities to teach my kids about the rich history of our country, visiting museums and historic places along the way. Having traveled extensively on the east coast of the United States, I have a desire to see the deserts and canyons that are part of the western landscape. I imagine that landscape to be equally beautiful yet the complete opposite of the rolling green hills and farmland I've lived in all my life. The kids really want to see legoland...let the preparations begin!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! What an amazing project, and you and your kids will not only remember the trip, but the preparation, too.

    Will you put up a big map on the wall, draw the route in marker and pop in pushpins for the places you'll visit? For how long is the trip planned? Do you have a list of resources and tools you're going to use?

    Inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie! Thanks for the support. All great questions...that I can't answer yet, but will be working on over the next many months.

    ReplyDelete